H.R. Hatch Insurance Agency, Inc.

 

 

Insuring families and businesses

since 1869

 

History
 

 

King & Co. was founded in 1869 by Joseph H. King at 9 city Sq in Charlestown.  He was involved in Real Estate and Insurance, and he was an auctioneer

 

The next owner was a John Cushing- acquisition date unknown.  By 1957 King & Co had moved to 67 Main Street in Charlestown where it shared space with the Charlestown Co-Operative Bank.  In 1957, the business was acquired by Frank and Evelyn Douglas, then of Braintree, MA.  Mr. Douglas was originally from Winter Hill in Somerville and had a number of family members living in Charlestown, primarily on Bunker Hill St.  In 1968 the Boston Redevelopment Authority was going to take over and tear down the structure at 67 Main St, which never did happen.  At that time King & Co moved to Braintree, but remained almost entirely a Charlestown based business.

 

In 1973, Frank Douglas, Jr., the son of the owners entered the business.  5 years later King & Co made its return to Charlestown at 14 Monument Ave, which proved to be a very positive event.  Frank and his wife Jean acquired King & Co in 1985 and Frank and Evelyn Douglas retired.  In 1990 the business moved to 7 Church Court (Thompson Sq) in Charlestown.

 

King & Co was acquired by H R Hatch Insurance Agency in 1997 and continues to be a presence in Charlestown today.